Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sātya. The Truth

I've been on a journey for some time now. A journey towards being present. A journey towards the truth. A journey, basically, towards a new better place-- be what it might be, as long as it's in truth.  


Now, what is truth? How do you get it? do it? know it? live it? These questions are all important, essential, but it's more a matter of working towards it--practice truth as experiences present themselves.  Being aware that we have a choice.  A choice of action.  I am driving the chariot, not blindfolded. It is up to me to control the horses and where I travel.  I'm no passive passenger either. 


So truth. Sātya. Truthfulness. The practice of truthfulness, non-deceiving. 
No lies. In actions, speech, and thoughts.
One of the concepts (practices) introduced by Patañjali in Yoga Sutra 2.3  
Here he advices, shines light on our actions and relationships with others & our environment (yamas). Again, it is a practice, not just an idea.
Together with ahimsa (non-violence), asteya (non-stealing), bramacarya (moderation) and aparigrahah (non-grasping/greediness), sātya (truthfulness) builds up this sutra.  


YS 2.3: "ahimsa satya asteya bramacarya aparigrahah yamah"


Gossips, harmful communication, abusive violent language.  Non truth
Lies, lies with myself, lies of myself, lies to myself.  Non truth. 
Hiding, hurting, deceiving.  Non truth.


Sātya: to live (yes, ātha, present, NOW) in truth with myself and those around me.  A beautiful intention and practice.  A yoga practice in itself. 
I include this sutra in my morning practice, as i finish up chanting. 


Moving on from the yoga lesson of the day.  What does this mean to me? 
Fear. 
El miedo asalta.  
Habit of getting up to run run run away. Avoid.
But why? Isn't that a good thing? A good intention? A healthy journey to begin? What is this fear anyway?


It's vulnerability. Which is wrongly interpreted in this society as weakness, when it is actually powerful, it's strength, it's what allows true communication (with oneself & others) and provides change. 
The metaphor/analogy is usually the following:
I'm sitting down, perfectly safe and warm, drinking my mate opening up, and yet i feel like i'm stripped naked, exposed to a cruel audience ready to be stoned! That's how I feel when i'm vulnerable. Instead of proud and open and available for true connection. There is that disconnect from reality that fear is to blame. 
BUT! 
does it make sense? do these demons really exist? do they have faces? 
to stop and analyze it turns them into dust.


So i'm on this journey. I feel good, i want to feel good, i want to be good.  I'm practicing sātya--which is a continuous hard challenging practice. 
I am vulnerable. I do own a beautiful sensitive heart that i'd like to share.


No more's:
Guilt
Shame
Hiding
Fears
Punishment  


Yes's:
Gratitude
Generosity
Respect
Care
Nourishment


** Song of the day
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.  JUST PRESS PLAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment