Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kriya Karma

Yesterday was a wonderful day.  I did participated in things i wanted to do, I saw people i wanted to see, and had moments of true presence.  And that's what it's about right? Owning yourself, filling in our largest organ (the skin) and actually sincerely be able to say: "i'm here".


I came across this little wise quote by Mr. Carl Jung, and i thought it was beautiful and quite profound. Something to practice on, or at least have in mind for conscious cultivation, and who knows..maybe self-reflection and transformation? 
(he had this experience when he was twelve--no big deal, no pressure!)


"Suddenly I had the overwhelming experience of having just emerged from a dense cloud. I knew all at once: Now I am myself! It was as if a wall of mist were at my back and behind that wall there was no yet an 'I'.  But at this moment I came upon myself.  Previously I had existed, too, but everything had merely happened to me. Now I happened to myself."


Again, being here. Living your own life. Own, as in owning.  Take hold of the reins of the chariot. Where are you going? 


Together with this question, there are other issues that come to mind: how am I getting there? Who am i traveling with? 
It's important that the main character in this story knows who they are. If not, what's the point? And i don't mean define. Define is somewhat restricting, limiting and already puts so much pressure on ourselves. "Ok, so i'm 'this'..and not 'that'"? or "why am i not 'that'? or if i think i am, why am i not like that person's 'that'? There is expectation, there is comparison, there is measurement, there is failure, there is guilt, shame, sadness, anger..ahhh..depression! and ultimately violence. Violence to yourself, violence to others, violence to the world.  Destruction. 


Epa!...hold on! Is that what I want? Is that the world i want? Not only for me, but for others? For those i love? 
So, now my friends, what to consider and, most importantly address? Action.  Action not only in the physical world, in the physical sense: i will plant a tree, i will recycle, i will stop smoking.  Action begins way before that.  Action begins the moment we experience something, have the ability to reflect on it and be aware. 
It comes through the senses--observe, hear, taste, touch, say-- it comes from the heart, and it also comes from the mind--aha! moments. 


I will repeat myself, but it's necessary: Kriya Yoga (yoga of action): 
Tapah- effort, discipline
Svādhyāya- self study, evaluate, reflect, assess.
Īśvaraprānidhānani- devotion (quality of action), sacrifice. 


Yoga Sutra 2.1: Tapah Svādhyāya Īśvaraprānidhānani Kriya Yogah


Having the ability to observe, notice, identify is crucial..but then, what to do with that? I think it's hopeful, it's powerful, it's courageous(!) to take action.  From within, with truthfulness.  


With this comes the popular, sometimes feared word: Karma.  Karma y just reaction.  Re-action. To every action there is a reaction. It shouldn't be a scary idea.  It shouldn't be this uncontrollable destiny or cross we are bearing. It's actually freeing and quite quite quite (yes, three times) beautiful.  My intentions, my actions, have an impact on myself and on others--and it can be so beautiful and wonderful.  
Imagine if the world truly responded to this phenomenon: would we have abuse, would we have discrimination, would we have violence? 


I'm no saint, I'm no monk, but I also don't wish to be stuck in my mistakes, in what i didn't do, didn't have, or even don't have.  I like to work on with what is my now, right now. What i'm doing, what i'm perceiving, my actions.  They will have their fruits, i know it! I've proved it..in fact, i dare say, it's been proven.  
I'm not afraid of karma.  
If you water the plant, the fruits will come. 
There lies transformation.


I work on owning my life.
I work on peace.
I work on love.


--Fía.


** A video on ACTION (noble peace laureate): worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment