Friday, March 16, 2012

Café au lait

I don't drink coffee. I don't drink milk.
Café au lait.
Coffee and milk.
Café con leche.
Not for me.


I'm a tea-kinda gal.  Tea lover.
In fact i'm now sipping from my mate gourd a beautiful blend (homemade) of fresh ginger, black pepper and a cinnamon stick.  Mmm..delicioso! Ayurvedic delight.


My point to café au lait, is that it instantly transports me to the image of sitting down and talking with someone.  Sharing an experience. Sharing ideas, laughing, sharing dreams, listening.


Isn't a nice chat energizing? Meeting someone you empathize with, someone you respect, admire, love.
Isn't it a blessing? A moment of connection, a moment of bondage of souls, miraculous. 
Sometimes you might feel down, low of energy or just not with the right motivation--then you spend some time (un momentito) with a friend, a kindred spirit, and you see yourself back in tune with yourself. You feel alive, you feel free, warmth through your body, light in your eyes.  The perfect remedy!


Yesterday was kind of a gray-ish day.  Cold (after two marvelous sunny warm days), I knew i had to go work--my hostess role.  It wasn't a horrible day, nothing was wrong really, it was more toned down.  I did have one highlight though..i was going to meet my friend Daniel for some tea in a little french cafe. 


Going underground has never been much of my thing. I say that because subways make me feel so disconnected and sort of suck my energy...specially when the trips are long.  I'm a sun creature! 
So, i was heading downtown to Chelsea, involuntarily closing my eyes--even though i wasn't particularly sleepy-- it's a contagious tiredness.  Let me just say that it's incredible to see how many people are falling asleep as they ride the subway.  And time of day isn't an issue.  8am, 10am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 6pm, 10pm does not matter. 
Continuing on...i was one of them: closing my eyelids and dozing off every now and then.  Thinking to myself "how am i even going to make it to tonight's shift?!" 
Walk out, walk a couple of blocks to the final destination.  
The smell of coffee hits me as i walk in.  Not bad smell. I like the scent of coffee, just not the taste. 
I sit down, take in my environment.  I like it. 
Daniel walks in, and boom...the miracle happens!
I'm charged again!
There is excitement, there is smiling, there is the desire to connect, there is energy!  
We talk away, share about our lives, plan about the future.  Non-stop. Being in the moment.  Atha.


Me: Earl Grey
Him: Cafe au lait.


I take a couple of seconds, every now and then, just to acknowledge: "wow.  this is wonderful.  this is what life is about! this is what makes me, us, live for."  


And i walk out of the cafe (wishing we could've had more time) with light beaming out from the top of my head, shining sun out of my heart, feeling blood run through my veins.  Feeling alive.  


That's what it's all about. 


There is nothing like a good encounter, a good conversation.  No machine could ever replace that.  
It's about the smell, the temperature, the breathing, the human connection.
Grandioso.
This song is beautiful, mellow and good-spirited. If you have a moment, just listen...



No comments:

Post a Comment