Friday, November 9, 2012

Relationships

Relationships.  
Wow, what a thing to talk about. Where to begin? What do i really want to say about relationships?
I guess my starting point should be that we can't live without them, that we are social creatures and that it would be completely cynical of me not to consider relationships as part of life. 
Another point to be made is that there is no judgement.  No such thing as an ideal relationship, a better or worse relationship. It's a tough one--the judgement issue. We are all different, we all build different dynamics.  What we CAN do is stay away from harm, violence, negativity, insolence and impertinence. 

Whether we want it or not, we have been (and still are) raised and taught that things must be "estimated".  Not esteemed. Placing everything and everyone under the measuring stick, regarding it all as a profit? a benefit? a loss? A bargain. This economic system has percolated in, unto our emotions, our feelings and our relationships.  In addition, I perceive mainstream economy leading us toward futile-instant gratification.  
I was having an interesting conversation with my talented brother this morning--over breakfast-- about the difference between gratification and satisfaction.  Recognizing how "the system" has us fooled thinking we have infinite necessities and a lack of resources to satisfy them.  We discussed about new theories on breaking down such paradigm.  We don't have innumerable necessities.  As a matter of fact we have...9? Let's not even get started with our resources.  (wanna know more, read Manfred Max-Neef, among others)

You've got it all wrong Mr. Capitalist. Your dollar God is not so supreme nor bountiful, and you're ambitious extirpating drive is rooted on make-beliefs. Unsubstantial. Gray. Very much finite, limited. 

I hit pause on my cassette player.
Can i just quickly mention how much i miss cassettes? Everything was so simple. Play, stop, rewind, fforward, pause, rec. Placing little pieces of scotch-tape on the corners if you wished to reuse them. Worst case scenario: the tape would get tangled and with a pen you'd have to roll it in again. Nothing like opening a brand new cassette, read the little booklet with lyrics or pictures.  Nostalgia. 
Now it's all download, in a "cloud" somewhere, no tangible experience of what is being played. No saving your little pesos to head to the music store and buy a cassette.  And blank cassettes! To record songs from the radio, or yourself! I'm from the era of cassettes, i can only imagine those that are from record players.  
End of interruption.

It's all related though. The more i sit and give myself the time to reflect upon things: feelings, thoughts, dreams, doubts--even trivial things such as cassettes and nail polish-- i realize that it's all intertwined. And it all leads me effortlessly to the same place.  All roads lead to Rome, eh? All leads me back to simplicity. The simple, the honest, the easiness, the tranquil, the sensible. 
I've learned a few lessons these past days on relationships.  Relationship with myself, my relationship with others, others relating to others. 
A web of connectivity, and relevance for the world we want--for ourselves, for those we see, for those far away, for our children, and for those which we will never meet.  At least not in this life cycle. Because it's all one. Violent energy on this side of the world will most definitely affect far and beyond. 

It's overwhelming, i know.  At least i feel it at times.  But then i'm reminded that it all starts at home.  Remember simplicity, honesty, small. 
"Be sensible with yourself, with the energy you're creating or you're latching on to", i tell myself. 
This is an amazing act of honesty and a challenging exercise of awareness. 
Energy. Energy flow: giving and receiving.  It's pretty much all in our hands.  
"I won't hang on to your destructive energy, I will not be a part of it."  
Hit stop.  
I'd better spend it on creating.

Side B.
"I feel this inspiring, loving, nurturing energy.  I am with you." 
 Play. 

Love & Light,
Fía.

No comments:

Post a Comment