Sunday, September 2, 2012

UN-HOOK YOURSELF

Wow, it's been a while. 
To be quite honest i've thought about taking a few minutes and writing a blog entry--quite a few times this week. 
I can't be so cynical as to say i haven't had enough time in front of a computer.  In fact, i think this past week i broke some kind of personal record regarding my relationship with a screen, a mouse and technology. 
It's a bittersweet kinda feeling: I've learned quite a few things about some computer "systems"(?) or "programs"(?) --- me doubting the right terminology just shines a light on how little I know.  
But i did learn, and somewhat mastered my new discoveries...and yet at the same time i felt i knew nothing, i was totally out-dated AND that really...i mean really, really...i didn't give a flying fuck. 
Excuse my french. 

My life is not determined by a computer, by my abilities using one and my relationship to a machine.  I'm not saying i want to go live in a cave, or in a deserted island (sometime i do secretly wish that though).  I mean, i know computer and technology is part of our world today, and i acknowledge the wonderful outstanding magnificent tool it can be to/for us.  
It allows me to see, hear and speak to my dearest friends.
It connects me to marvelous places, informs me, opens my horizons, breaks many communication barriers and expands my participation in/with the world.  
I get it.
I like it.
I use it.

It just becomes extremely tricky when we become dependent and begin to identify ourselves with this/these devices (for its not just the laptop, but the iPhone, iPad, Kindle, etc.)  Not only do we begin to acquire a new personality through them, but they take on a meaning in our lives that i consider sometimes pretty much whacky.  
Can't go anywhere without your phone?
How many times a day do you check your email(s) account(s)?
Would you rather establish a relationship via chat, email, text than live?
Would you rather be hooked/online/"connected" than participating with your environment? 

It's time to check-in and evaluate this...really.  
I was hooked for a week and my whole system was just screaming: "go out, take a walk, smell the flowers, feel the sun, talk!"  No joke.

We've been blessed with beautiful weather, and i've been out on my bike the last two days.  Pedaling away, calmly and lively.  Lively--i felt alive.  
See, we were born from the earth, we are part of the earth and will inevitably go back to being earth.  
I feel more alive today.  I feel it all makes sense that way.  It boosts life and love.  
Taking care, loving and participating makes me want to be a better person. 
Makes me want to make this world a better place.  Not perfect, better.  The best it can be.


FÍA

No comments:

Post a Comment